James graduated from Eastern Kentucky University with a Bachelor's Degree in Geology from the Department of Natural and Mathematical Science in 1983. He graduated from the University Of Dayton School of Law and was admitted to practice in Ohio in 1991. Since that time, his practice has emphasized auto crash personal injury claims, motorcycle crash personal injury claims, and trucking crash personal injury claims, as well as wrongful death claims, insurance coverage claims, home construction claims, medical negligence, and appellate practice.
James is also admitted to practice and has appeared in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, the United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Prior to his law career, James worked in the field of exploration geophysics in the United States, Brazil, Argentina, Norway, Egypt, Tunisia and other parts of North Africa.
Prior to joining Dungan & LeFevre, James also worked in the area of insurance defense. Throughout his career as a trial attorney, James has represented hundreds of individuals and corporations and has extensive jury trial and appellate experience.
James was born and raised in the Miami Valley and resides in Dayton with his wife Nancy.
- Ohio, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1996
- U.S. District Court, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2015
- Sun Life Assurance Co. v. Jackson, 877 F.3d 698, 6th Court
- Cummins v. Kettering Med Ctr., 2008-Ohio-2591, Oh. Ct. App
- Smith v. Motorist Mutual, 2002-Ohio-6259, Oh. Ct. App
- Legal Advisor for the Noble Circle Project, 2008 to 2019
- Freund, Freeze & Arnold, Associate, 2001 to 2003
- James D. Brookshire, Attorney at Law, 1993 to 2000
- Systech Environmental Corporation, Staff Attorney, 1991 to 1993
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member, 1991 to Present
- Dayton Bar Association, Member, 1991 to Present
- Ohio Association for Justice, Member, 2003 to Present
- Miami County Bar Association, Member, 2003 to Present
Current Employment Position
- Shareholder and Asst. Secretary
- Personal Injury Claims: Wrongful Death, Auto, Motorcycle, and Truck Crashes 75%
- Insurance Coverage Claims 15%
- Medical Negligence 5%
- Home Construction Disputes 5%
- University of Dayton School of Law, Dayton, Ohio
- J.D. - 1991
- Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Kentucky
- B.A. - 1983
- Major: Geology/Natural and Mathematical Sciences